Contact Us

Mountain Sherpa Trekking & Expedition

Post Box: 14444, Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal
Phone No.: 00977 14435828
Fax No.: 00977 14435828


24 Hours Call Support: -

Pasang Sherpa
+977 9841510169
+977 9751055600

Sumba Sherpa
+977 9803034737
+977 9849643731


How I can get Visa of Nepal? Is possible to obtain Visa in Kathmandu Airport?

Yes, you can get Nepal visa easily at Kathmandu Airport on arrival. When you are on flight, Airhostess will provide you VISA FORM and after you landed, you will proceed for visa queue. Recent updated visa fees are: Nepal entry visa (US$ 25 or equivalent foreign currency for 15 days, US$ 40 or equivalent foreign currency for 30 days & US$ 100 or equivalent foreign currency for 90 days. you will also require 2 passport size photos.) it is always easy to have cash USD in your hand.

Also you could apply Nepal visa at Nepalese Embassy in your country before you fly to Nepal.

Back to Top

Where should I change money?

In Kathmandu Airport, we advised to change only few dollars for Airport guide, driver tipping. You can get Best rate in Town for other expenses.

Back to Top

Will somebody come to pick me up at the Airport upon my arrival?

Yes, our Airport Representative will be there to greet you outside of Terminal Hall; he/she will be displaying an MOUNTAIN SHERPA sign, please see and meet him/her. Upon arrival, you will be transferred to your hotel.

Back to Top

Do I need to buy special equipment?

Usually our clients simply bring their existing clothing and equipment and if necessary supplement this with some extra items purchased cheaply in Kathmandu,

Back to Top

What if the dates for the group treks don't fit my itinerary?

If this is the case, we can organize a bespoke trek for you. Additionally if you want to spend more time in Kathmandu before or after a trek we can organize the hotels and quote you a price accordingly.

Back to Top

I am a single trekker. How does this work?

Normally single trekkers have no problems fitting in with a group. Normally single trekkers share rooms or lodges with other trekkers of the same sex, but if we have an odd-number we ensure that a room or lodge is organized accordingly.

Back to Top

Will I be able to deal with the high altitude?

Our itineraries are well designed so that our clients ascend at a sensible and safe rate. The effects of altitude are felt by everyone, even the Sherpas, but most people find that gentle acclimatization allows them to reach their high point without any problems.

Back to Top

What will happen if I get sick on the trek?

Either you will get better, or if it seems serious we will evacuate you with Helicopter and will be taken to Hospital in Kathmandu where you'll get excellent attention. Our staffs are well versed in medical and emergency care and carry a reasonably comprehensive first aid kit.

Back to Top

What will happen if I get injured?

If it is serious (this has never happened). You will again be taken care by our staff. If evacuation is required this will be arranged by Mountain Sherpa trekking & expeditions. It's advised that if you have any personal doubts you should have evacuation insurance arranged. Mountain Sherpa Treks can advise you on this.

Back to Top

Will I get sick?

Not likely. The worst is you may get some diarrhea or temporary stomach upset. Please pay your attentions to Purified Waters during Trek, take rest/Acclimatize when Guide will advice and follow the Instructions to food items as Guide Suggest, always take care when walking in trails etc. For more Details, please write us if you need any extra information.

Back to Top

Is your staffs carry first Aid box? Should we bring our own?

Yes, our staff will have normal first Aid kid fox for normal treatment. If you have your own first Aid medicines that would be great too.

Back to Top

What type of insurance should I have before come to Nepal? Can I get insurance there?

While it's easier to arrange it before you leave your home country, we can arrange it here for you. The main thing is to make sure your insurance covers you for both medical and evacuation costs

Back to Top

Is Nepal safe? Is a woman traveling alone safe with your company?

Absolutely. Firstly; Nepal is really not a dangerous country (chances are it's safer here than your home-country). Secondly; while you're on one of our trips, we take personal responsibility for your well-being, a responsibility we take very seriously.

Back to Top

Is a trekking permit required & Included in your package?

Yes, trek permit is necessary and it is included in all our trek packages.

What type of shape do I need to be in, is this trip for me?

This trek is suitable for average people who are moderately fit, thus no previous experience is required. Some physical fitness programs such as running, swimming, hiking is recommended before you embark on your journey. Persons suffering from a pre-existing medical condition or disease must seek medical advice before considering the trek. Whilst on the trek, it is common to experience some discomfort before being fully acclimatized.

To prepare for a strenuous trek you should begin training at least two to three months before your departure. As a guideline, an hour of aerobic exercise three to four times per week would be considered a minimum requirement. The best preparation is bushwalking involving relatively steep ascents and descents. If you can manage a couple of valley floor to ridgeline ascents per comfortable and able to enjoy the trek to the fullest. They are physically strong, sharp-witted and have an incredibly positive attitude towards a life that we would consider extremely tough. There is something about a trek in the Himalaya that draws you back time and time again. For keen walkers it is a paradise and even avowed non-walkers find that one foot just seems to follow the other, drawn by the appeal of what lies beyond.

Back to Top

What sort of accommodation can I expect in Kathmandu and in trekking?

In Kathmandu, we accommodate you at DELUXE hotels at 3 Star or 5 Stars and during trekking; you will accommodate at selected lodges- Tea houses, also called trekking guest houses.

We use DELUXE rooms from 3 to 5 star hotels in Kathmandu with breakfast included. Along the trekking routes teahouses/Lodges generally provide basic clean facilities with a mattress and a quilt or blanket. but it is a good idea to always have your own sleeping Bag . We usually provide single and double rooms as well as the occasional dormitory. The dining room is downstairs around a fire. All food will be cooked to order in the little kitchen. You should not enter the kitchen unless asked to do so.

Toilet Facilities - On trek, common toilet facilities are available at Tea Houses.

Back to Top

What sort of food can I expect in trekking?

In Everest region treks most teahouses (lodges) cook a delicious range of mostly vegetarian fare. Pasta, tuna bakes, noodles, potatoes, eggs, dhal bhat, bread, soups, fresh vegetables (variety depends on the season) and even some desserts like apple pies, pancakes, and some interesting attempts at custard. You will find a lot of garlic on the menu because it assists with acclimatization – eat some every day. In many larger villages you may find some meat on the menu. You can always get hot chocolate, tea, and hot lemon drinks, as well as soft drinks, and treats like chocolate and crisps.

Each day dinner and breakfast are used to take in the same lodge you spend the night. Lunch will be taken on the way to destination.

Back to Top

What sort of transportation you use?

Mountain Sherpa is all about providing you with local insights as well as adventure, with that in mind, where we think you will get more out of your holiday by using different means of transport that is what we do. Using a variety of private transport is an integral part of our Himalaya tours and enhances the experience!

We use private tourist vehicles for sightseeing, city tours and pickups. Depending on the group size we use CARS, HIACE, VAN or land cruiser. These small light vehicles are more maneuverable and flexible enabling us to take you through the Narrow roads of Nepal. All the vehicles are usually air-conditioned unless we are traveling in cooler areas.

For the internal flights from Kathmandu - Lukla - Kathmandu, the airlines we use are Yeti, Sita, and Agni.

Back to Top

What is the best season for this trekking?

Our trekking season extends from mid- September to May. From early September the monsoonal rains decrease. By end of September through to December the weather is usually stable with mild to warm days, cold nights. February, March, April, May, October, November, December are the best time to do Everest trek.

Back to Top

What is the weather & temperature like in trekking?

Weather in the mountains is notoriously difficult to predict. At night it is generally cooler the days are generally warm. Winter (January and February) will be bit colder but the days can be quite beautiful and warm if the sun is out. There will be bit of snow during the month of January, February and December. It is also important to make sure that you can stay warm and dry in just about any conditions. Expect the unexpected! The temperature could be as high as 20 deg C to -15 deg C low.

Back to Top

Can I charge my digital camera or other batteries on my trip?

These facilities will be available in most of the places in your hotel reception by paying some service charges. Remember to bring your adapters!

Back to Top

Can I use credit cards in the places visit in trekking?

In most cities yes, to some extent, however once you leave those cities behind, all you need is cash.

Back to Top

How much additional money do I need per day?

In Kathmandu, you can allocate US$ 05 - 10 for a lunch / dinner. It’s all depends on your spending habits. US$7 to 10 US$ a day will be enough to buy bottles of water, chocolates and few drinks in trekking.

Back to Top

Do I need to tip my guide and porters? How much would that be?

This is a difficult thing to gauge. We have seen everything from 20USD to 1000 USD per person for guides and porters. Tipping is not mandatory but it is expected, this is a way to show your guides and local porters thanks for their help. The level of the tip should reflect the level of personal involvement with your guide.

Most of our guests separate, US$ 10- 12 per day for Porter and US$ 12-15 per day for Guide as reasonable tipping.

Back to Top

Is the water OK to drink? Do I need to bring purifying tablets/filter?

In most places bottled water is readily available. If you wish to drink normal water, you need to use purifying aid, which you will need to bring with you. You also could but boiled drinking water.

Back to Top

Are the Mountain sherpa Trekking Agency's staffs insured?

Our company insures all our trekking staff, including guide, cook, Sherpa and porters. Safety of our Key staffs is our prime concerns. We do our best take care of our all staffs.

Back to Top

What essential documents do I need to bring with me on tour?

Below is most important documents you should have:

  • Valid Passport – must be valid for up to 6 months after you return from your tour, keep a separate photocopy.
  • 3 piece of passport sized photos for Trekking permit & also 2 for Nepal Visa, Total 5 photos, also advised to keep extra if possible which may come to use sometime.
  • Travel insurance, keep a separate photocopy
  • Cash and Traveller’s Cheques, keep numbers and proof of purchase separate
  • Flight tickets
  • Emergency contact numbers for T/C’s, banks, insurance, family contacts.

Back to Top

Can I add extra days to my trekking trip?

A holiday should never be about making it to the final point quickly. Along your trek we can add days at your request with additional costs to cover guides, porters, accommodation and food.

Back to Top

Do you use yaks/porters on the trek or do we carry all of our own gear? What will I need to carry on the trek?

Very few things you have to carry during your trek. Your main luggage will carry by our porter/yaks. You just have to carry your day bag with your camera, valuable items, water, some extra clothes, some chocolate bars, sun creams, and sunglass etc for day use.

Back to Top

What opportunities will I have for shower along the trek?

In major places at Lukla, Namche, Dingboche, Pheriche, and Phakding and in rest of the places, hotel water in bucket will be provided for shower as guest request; it would cost you extra about USD 3-4 per shower.

Back to Top

Do you know about how many total miles the trek is?

Total distance of the entire trek is about 75 miles.

Back to Top

I would you like to extend my holiday, any recommendations?

Yes, there are many options and choices to extend your holiday before or after your main trip. Please kindly check Side Trips for most recommended short trips within Nepal.

Back to Top

What immunizations will I need?

No vaccinations are compulsory in Himalaya, but we do recommend you are covered for *diphtheria & TB, hepatitis A, *hepatitis B, *malaria, typhoid, polio and tetanus.

We also recommend:
- A dental check-up prior to traveling.
- That you know your blood group in case of emergency.

That if you have any pre-existing medical conditions which might affect you on tour, you make these known to your tour leader and mountain Sherpa trekking at the time of your booking.

Meningitis: Recommended. Consult your physician.
Malaria: No problem in Kathmandu, since we are above the zone of malaria, but if you plan on traveling to lower elevations in Nepal before/after the trip then malaria chemoprophylaxis is highly recommended.

Consult your physician and visit the travel clinic at a major University Hospital or your local Public Health Department for the most up to date info on travel requirements.

Back to Top

How is laundry usually done by your trekkers? What should we bring?

During trekking, you have only chance to make your laundry on rest days or short walking days. Laundry system in trekking is available on request only, however quick laundry service not possible. If you would like to do small clothing wash yourself during rest days, it is better to have soap or can buy this also in lodges. Most of our trekkers bring their laundry back to Kathmandu and do.

Back to Top

Do we need any mountaineering experience?

No mountaineering experience is required as long as you're in your sound physical shape & have a sense of adventure will enjoy this trek.

Back to Top

How long have you been in business?

We have been serving in this field for over a decade and are trustable and government registered trekking agency.

Back to Top

Do you have any referral customers?

To know about our former clients / clients' referral, please mouse over

Back to Top

Can we rent sleeping bags and down jackets in Katmandu? Are these places in easy reach of the hotel?

Yes, you can hire both Sleeping bags, Down Jacket in Kathmandu at US$ 1 per day per item basis with us. We will show you the shop near your hotel, it is easy that you do not need to keep any deposit for those items..

Back to Top

Do I need Trekking poles??

Actually it is not really necessary unless you used on previous trekking or hiking. However it is good idea to take 1 or 2 polls for Nepal trekking.

Back to Top

Can I Exchange another Foreign Currency than US dollars? Do we need only US dollars in our whole Trip?

Yes, of course! It is not must to bring only US Dollars. Other currency also exchanged. Except big shops in City, you all need is Nepalese Currency (NPR). So you can bring your own currency and exchange in NPR very easily in city as well as some places on Trek too.

Back to Top

What happens if there is an emergency?

All of our guides are trained in basic first aid and can deal with the basic ailments that may occur on trek. In the event of an emergency Mountain Sherpa trekking & expeditions will cover initial expenses of any rescue operation. It is a condition of booking that you are adequately insured for such an event as these expenses will need to be recovered from your insurance company. In the more frequented regions there are health posts, which have been established by foreign doctors and many are staffed by overseas personnel.

Back to Top

What Kinds of Trekking Guide you have? Do they Speak English and Other Language? And are they certified from Nepal Tourism Board?

All Our Treks/Tours/ Expedition Guides are fully English Speaking, all have valid Licensed Holder from Government of Nepal Tourism with related Field Training, Knowledge of Full First Aid at Spot, Most of They are Sherpa Guides (Those who are Mountain Leaders) and on your request, we can Provide Other International language Speaking Guides as well. Given notice, we can provide you guide who can speak your own language as your requirement during your trek/tour in Nepal.

Back to Top

Can I trek in the Himalayas even if I haven't done any trekking before?

Absolutely; in fact it's a great place to start. As part of our job, one of the most important things we do is ascertain your experience and ambitions, and find the trek to best match these. However hard or easy you'd like it, however much or little experience you have, we have the perfect trek for you.

Back to Top

Am I too young or old?

We have had a range of ages on our trips, from teenager to pensioner, and all have enjoyed themselves without any problems.

Back to Top

What is a typical group? Will I fit in?

Groups range in size from 2 up to 12, and typically comprise a range of nationalities and experience. So far, all of our groups have got along very well. One of the attractions of such a trip is the chance to meet people with different backgrounds and personalities.

Back to Top

What is the maximum weight allowed on domestic flights?

The normal weight limit is 15 kilogram’s for all domestic flight we therefore recommend you not to overload yourself.

Back to Top

How much of weight that your porter will carry?

We normally provide 1 porter for 1 person private (solo Trekker) trek, in group of 2 persons, we provide only 1 porter and he will carry maximum of 30kgs.

Back to Top

Is your Trekking Agency registered? Also you are TAAN & NMA Members?

Yes, we are Fully Government Authorized Travel, Trekking & Expedition Agency with all Valid Licenses and Certificates. We have Guaranteed Deposit in case of our Service Failed to our Clients; the Clients can get refund from Our Guaranteed Deposit. We are also Members of TAAN (Trekking Agents Association of Nepal) and NMA (Nepal Mountaineering Association). The Short Details of our Registration are as follows:

  • Office of Company Register: 18785/058/59
  • Office of Cottage & Small Industry: 2945/195
  • Tourism Industry Division License No: 661/2060
  • Tax Department Regd. No: 301518734
  • Nepal Mountaineering Association (NMA)- Associate Membership AM # 507/2062
  • Trekking Agents Association of Nepal (TAAN)
  • Kumari Bank LTD- Guarantee Deposit
  • Himalayan Bank LTD- Authorized US$ A/c for Dollar Transaction

You can check our Legal documents in our site:

Back to Top